Sunday, March 16, 2014

Why I DO NOT use live animals in my photo sessions…

Anyone who has looked my photos have probably noticed that I use minimal props for my sessions. I do this because the focus should be on my subject rather the objects that appear  around them. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE props!!! I just don't like too much and I think keeping it natural and minimal is important in keeping the focus on the person or people that I am photographing. It's my style.

I also LOVE animals... All kinds of animals! I also care about animal rights. Because if we don't
advocate for their rights, who will? Now I'm not super hardcore, and I am not vegan, but I try to make an effort to purchase cruelty free products and I do not support businesses that don't support my beliefs (like circus' that use animals in their acts).
Fawn my husband rescued from the side of the road a few years back.
He was taken to a rehabilitation center in Zebulon. 

With that said, I also do not use bunnies, chicks, or other small animals for my photography sessions. Now if you live on a farm, raise those animals and would like to be photographed with them because they are a part of your family; well that is a different situation. I'm talking about using those animals solely for cutesy props…

So, unless the animal is your own pet(s), these are the reasons why I do not use small animals in my photo sessions:
  • A license/permit is required under the Animal Welfare Act through the USDA. 
  • If a vendor is used they must be licensed, insured, and carry such a permit through the USDA. 
  • Small and baby animals, like chicks and bunnies, can be easily injured or killed if they are mishandled. 
  • Handling of the animal(s) may cause undue stress and that is just not necessary. PETA has written an article about bunnies being stressed and terrified. I feel that unjustly causing a small animal fear or panic is just not worth it. 
  • Many small animals can carry disease; Tularemia, Salmonella… ((yuk))
  • No one wants to be bit, scratched or infected by an animal… and I would like to not be sued because of it. 
  •  I don't think anyone likes to be peed or pooped on... and I especially do not like cleaning that stuff up...
So in a nutshell, I don't believe in the use of live animals as a photo prop and I think your portrait can be made to be just as cute and endearing without the use of those live animals. 


I used a variety of sources and common sense to compile my list. The sources that I through carried the most importance I have linked above.

No comments:

Post a Comment